When you are at a college campus, there are certain things that should be universally known about how to act.
We’ll start with the walk to class.
- When you are about to get in that awkward situation where you are walking in the same path as someone going the other way, GO RIGHT. It’s like driving, you drive on the right side of the road… so when you are walking, you should treat it as a road and stay right.
- Everyone walks at a different pace. During peak walking times on campus (aka, the times between most afternoon classes) there are a lot of people utilizing the sidewalks. When you are being ‘tailgated’ during the peak times by a fast walker, you have a few options. One, you could be an ass and slow down to piss the tailgater off because you know that they can’t pass you. Two, you could be nice and kind of edge towards your right to make a little path for the person to pass you. Finally there is my personal favorite for when you need a laugh, just stop suddenly so that the tailgater runs into you.
- Please walk on the side of the sidewalk that you are plan to turn to. No one likes the person that is walking on the far right on the sidewalk and suddenly turns left and cuts everyone off. Now I realize that this would involve walking on the wrong side of the sidewalk, which is why if you are turning left… you should start veering (not 90 degreeing it) to the left of the sidewalk when your turn is coming up.
- The final etiquette that should be observed while walking on campus is that if you are walking with a large group of people (this seems to happen mostly among foreign people and sorority girls) please DO NOT TAKE UP THE ENTIRE SIDEWALK. Do not all walk in a horizontal line long enough to play a game of red rover with. If you must all walk next to each other, either walk on the grass or split off into smaller groups. Everyone else thanks you.
Next are the etiquette rules for people who take the bus around campus.
- Get off of your cell phone. No one wants to hear your conversation about where Britney Spears is vacationing at now.
- If you are listening to your MP3 player… keep the volume at a normal level. If the person in the front of the bus can hear the new Fall Out Boy song that you’re listening to, it’s too loud.
- WAIT FOR EVERYONE TO GET OFF OF THE BUS BEFORE YOU TRY TO GET ONTO THE BUS. Seriously, the bus isn’t going anywhere, you do not need to get onto it this second.
- The final bus rule is for all of the big bag holders out there. If the bus is empty, your bag can have it’s own seat. If it is getting full, take your bag off of the seat so someone can sit there. I don’t care if it’s a Coach bag… put it on the floor.
to be continued…